- “Performance Design as Mnemonic Device for Critical Engagement with the Sptail Politics of Urban Change: The ARCADE Project.” Journal of Theatre and Performance Design, Autumn 2019; Vol. 5 No. 3
- “Points de vue: Agency, Contingency, Community and the Postindustrial Turn.” Co-authored with Dr Cynthia Hammond for FIELD: a journal of socially-engaged art criticism. Issue 3 (March 2016).
- “Reimagining anOther Public Space: Le Dalhousie, Griffintown.” On Site Review 30 (2013): 10-12.
Exhibition texts, essays
- Co-editor with Dorita Hannah. PhoneHome: Architecture A/ Part. XX Architecture and Urbanism Biennial, “Unpostponable Dialogues.” Valparaiso, Chile. October- November, 2017.
- “‘Fantasy in the Hold’: PhoneHome: Architecture A/ Part”. Exhibition catalogue. Architecture and Urbanism Biennial 2017. Valparaiso, Chile.
- Chief Editor. Undergraduate Journal of Performance Creation, Special Issue: Gender & Sexuality in Performance (Fall 2018)
- “Feminist City Light Capers.” Montreal, Architecture Concordia. 2017
- “Making a Mark.” Concordia studio art student exhibition publication for LandMarks2017. Montréal: Urban Occupations Urbaines, 2017.
- Co-author. “Points de vue: Shauna Janssen and Thomas Strickland in Conversation with Cynthia Hammond. Montrèal: pouf! art+architecture, 2014.
- “Self Portrait as Repertoire,” Self/Portrait/Text. Exhibition at Z Art Space, 19-25 June 2014. ed. Cynthia Hammond (multiple authors).
- Urban Occupations Urbaines, as part of peer-reviewed exhibition “Contested Site: Archives and the City.” Faculty of Fine Arts Gallery, Concordia University, Montreal, November 2012.
Peer reviewed abstracts and conference presentations
2019 “Notes from the field: on urban curating, postindustrial ecologies, place, and critical posthumanism.” University of Art Association Canada. 25-27 Quebec City.
2019 “Performative Urbanism: Situating Critical Design Practices in the City.” International Federation of Theatre Research, Shanghai. 8-12 July.
2019 “From Vagrant Scenographies to Speculative Urban Gestures: A Feminist Turn,” paper presentation with Dr Kristine Samson.Prague Quadrennial. 6-16 June.
2019 “Desiring the Dark: Feminist Scenographies, the City, and the Night,” paper presentation with Dr Cynthia Hammond. University of Birmingham, UK. 25-27 April.
2018 “Un Promenade parlante: Oral History, Research-Creation, and Senior Montrealers’ Knowledge of Urban Change,” paper presentation with Dr Cynthia Hammond, for “Oral History in our Challenging Times,” Oral History Association conference, Concordia University, Montreal. 12 October.
2018 “Dramaturgies of Witnessing and Walking as Critical Spatial Practice: The Wellington Tower Project.” Theme: Urban Renewal and Resistance, European Association for Urban History (EAUH). Rome. 29 Aug.-1 September.
2017 “Fantasy in the Hold: Interiority, Architecture, and Performances of Mobility.” Performance Studies International 23, conference theme “Overflow.” Hamburg. 8-11 June. Co-presentation with Joanne Paterson Kinniburgh.
2016 “Walking and Witnessing as Critical Heritage Practices: The Wellington Tower Project.” Session: “Walking post-industrial areas, “Association of Critical Heritage Studies,” Concordia University, Montreal. 6 June. Co-presented with Dr Cynthia Hammond.
2016 “SILO.05,” Performance Studies International conference “Performing Climates.” Co-presented with Campbell Drake, Ian Garrett, Liisa Ikonen, and Joanne Paterson Kinniburgh. Melbourne. 7 July.
2014 “Curatorial Responses to the Cultural Politics of Postindustrial Urban Spaces.”
Session: “Gentrification, Resistance, and Cultural Heritage: Performing and Claiming Rights in/to the Global City,” Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics, New York University, New York. 2-4 October.
2011 “Through the Aperture of Posthumanism: Ruin Imagery, Detroit, and the Future.” Session: “Landscapes of Ruin.” Annual meeting of the Universities’ Art Association of Canada (UAAC), Carleton University. Ottawa. 27-29 October.
2011 “Le Dalhousie, Griffintown: Dimensions of an OtherSpace.” Spaces of Alterity: Conceptualizing Counter Hegemonic Sites, Practices and Narratives,” University of Nottingham, UK, Department of Culture. Nottingham, UK. 27 and 28 April.
2010 “Interdisciplinary Approaches to Spacing Place and Memory: Oral History as Methodology for Architectural Field Studies. “Spaces of History/ Histories of Space,” University of California at Berkeley, California. 30 April – 1 May.
2010 “Reclaiming the Darling Foundry: From Post-Industrial Landscape to Quartier Éphémère.” Canadian Historical Association at the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Concordia University, Montreal. 28 May – 2 June.
Points de vue. Interview with Thomas Strickland and Val Walker about organizing urban laboratories and community events on themes of public space and accessibility. XX Files, CKUT, Montreal. 2014. https://vimeo.com/101297558
The Conversationalist. Interview with Amelia Schobek about my research and curatorial work in Montreal’s postindustrial landscape. maisonneuve: a quarterly of arts, opinions, and ideas. 18 October, 2010. http://maisonneuve.org/post/2010/10/18/conversationalist-interview-shaunajanssen-founder/